It’s that time of year! After months of cool and down-right freezing temperatures, summer is finally here! Gorgeous blue skies and golden sunshine! And last but not least, the waves of heat.
I’ve spent the last eight years in Florida, so I know heat. I also know it can leave us feeling lethargic and irritable. There are two reasons for this. One: we end up dehydrated. Not too many people actually get all the water they need and in the summer heat, we lose water even faster via sweat and a higher body temp, which leads us to number two. Your body is expending more energy to keep you from over-heating. So give your body a hand with our top 5 tips for staying cool this summer:
1) STAY HYDRATED. I know you hear this all the time, but seriously, this is the number one best thing you can do for you body. Period. Drink at least half your body weight IN OUNCES of water every day. Have a hard time getting all that down? Get creative! Add some fruit, cucumber or even mint to your water! Not only will it taste great, it’ll keep you hydrated AND give you some extra electrolytes. (Skip the pedialyte – it’s all sugar).
2) (Shameless promo-plug warning) Get yourself a bottle of our Phyto-Aromatic Mist. It contains Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe and Rose Oil which are naturally hydrating and nourishing. Pop this is your beach bag!
3) Clean your feet. That’s right. Clean them. Get all that daily dirt off, give yourself a really good scrub and rinse with cool water. This will help your feet “breathe” and allow them to release more heat from your body instead of it pooling there.
4) Cooling Essential Oils. Peppermint, Spearmint and Eucalyptus Oil all contain naturally occurring menthol making these oils perfect to diffuse on a hot summer day. If you opt to use on your body, remember that essential oils should ALWAYS be diluted before applying to the skin.
5) Dress light. Summer is a good time to be slightly pickier about the fabrics you wear. Try to stick with natural fibers like cotton, linen or seersucker. These fabrics breathe better. Also, stick with lighter colors as they reflect the light instead of absorbing it (says the girl who wears a black cardigan almost every day).
So next time you just can’t seem to cool down, give these tricks a try and you’ll find you’re able to enjoy those long summer days instead of hiding from them!